Tag Archives: degree show

Degree Show Website

So here‘s my entry in the offical ECA Degree Show website.

If you navigate through the site you can see other student’s entries, including students from other disciplines! I reccomend it, it looks like it’s going to be a cracking show.

~ell

Advertisements

A better update

My last post was a little rushed, so now I have a bit more time, I’m going to upload a few more pictures of the finished space for Degree assesssment.

Here’s the stand I used for branchy in the end – it’s a Christmas tree stand that belongs to my parents. It has useful little screw in bits that bite into the trunk of the tree to keep it stable, so it did the job perfectly.

Lovely south facing windows get lots of sunlight.

So I packed the soil around the base of the tree and spent a while chipping moss and bark from that chunk of wood I sawed off the bottom of the branch. While it had to be a mound of soil that large to cover the stand, I didn’t want to extend the soil any further out into the space as I didn’t want viewers to tread the soil all around the room. I think it works well contained in that way though, any further extended and the piece would probably have dominated the space a little too much.

So here’s the crow I chose to hang in the end – I don’t think I mentioned in previous posts, but I decided to go with just the one crow hanging from the tree. I think numbers mean a lot to people, and while having just one simplifies things, it also creates the air of something symbolic – maybe as a monument, or a warning.

Here’s the top, where the goo connects to the branch.

Oh, and here’s the other, smaller piece I had in the space alongside the larger branch. While they’re separate pieces, I wanted to link them, so I used a small mound of earth to give it a bit of context within the space.

I included the canvases with the parts of the crows, but I decided to split them up. I tried having them side by side in the shape of a fragmented crow, but having the wings in the space left me thinking too much crow…

I kept the wings together, but displayed them around the corner, next to the door.

Here’s another image of the space. I also put up a couple of pictures including the latex dog parts just to add a little history to my work. I’ll probably add more or change them for the actual public show.

That’s it for now!

~ell

…finished.

So I finally got it all sorted.

Here are some images of my space, all set up and ready for assessments. (We’ll be tweaking the space a bit before the public show opens in June.)

Facing one way (into my space)

Facing the other (you can see Rose’s piece at the back, and there is another piece going between us which hadn’t been moved there at the time of the photograph)

I think… I’m feeling good about it.

~ell

P.S. the images are a bit dark and need to be adjusted – I’ll do that later but just now I have to run off to work, apologies!

The month of May – and things are going slowly.

Hi again.

So things, as the title suggests, are going slowly. While the studios were (mostly) painted over easter, the space is still mostly in turmoil. This is not necessarily a bad thing, since, as I have learned, things need to be in turmoil for sculpture to happen.

This time I come bearing photos!

So this is the space where I’ll be installing the tree. It’s a beautiful studio at the very front of the college, so it has great south facing windows that get loads of sun. Great for branchy! As I said, the space is still full of crap as we continue to prepare for the show. The partitions at the end will also stretch to the wall on the left, we just have to leave it open now for access behind them.

I had to cut the uneven bottom off branchy, from where he fell from the tree. It’s a shame, because the bottom is all covered in this wonderful thick green moss, but I guess you wouldn’t have seen it anyway when it was installed in the stand.

Meanwhile, the crows wait patiently for me to attach and finish them.

I’m having a bit of trouble currently with stands for the branch, as being very top heavy, it’s very difficult to stabilise. Today, after a few unsuccessful attempts at cutting the bottom to be even, I’ve decided that I’ll fill the stand with jesmonite or cement, if I can get my hands on a small amount. That’ll mean I can hold the branch in the position I want it while the bottom of the branch settles into the material as it sets. Let’s just hope I can get my hands on something suitable for the job! It’s definitely not worth buying a whole bag of cement or similar.

Anyway that’s all for now, hopefully things will start moving more quickly and I can update more often. At the moment I’m mostly organising and choosing photographs to print, which doesn’t exactly give me any material to post on here with. Never mind! Soon!

~ell