My last post was a little rushed, so now I have a bit more time, I’m going to upload a few more pictures of the finished space for Degree assesssment.
Here’s the stand I used for branchy in the end – it’s a Christmas tree stand that belongs to my parents. It has useful little screw in bits that bite into the trunk of the tree to keep it stable, so it did the job perfectly.
Lovely south facing windows get lots of sunlight.
So I packed the soil around the base of the tree and spent a while chipping moss and bark from that chunk of wood I sawed off the bottom of the branch. While it had to be a mound of soil that large to cover the stand, I didn’t want to extend the soil any further out into the space as I didn’t want viewers to tread the soil all around the room. I think it works well contained in that way though, any further extended and the piece would probably have dominated the space a little too much.
So here’s the crow I chose to hang in the end – I don’t think I mentioned in previous posts, but I decided to go with just the one crow hanging from the tree. I think numbers mean a lot to people, and while having just one simplifies things, it also creates the air of something symbolic – maybe as a monument, or a warning.
Here’s the top, where the goo connects to the branch.
Oh, and here’s the other, smaller piece I had in the space alongside the larger branch. While they’re separate pieces, I wanted to link them, so I used a small mound of earth to give it a bit of context within the space.
I included the canvases with the parts of the crows, but I decided to split them up. I tried having them side by side in the shape of a fragmented crow, but having the wings in the space left me thinking too much crow…
I kept the wings together, but displayed them around the corner, next to the door.
Here’s another image of the space. I also put up a couple of pictures including the latex dog parts just to add a little history to my work. I’ll probably add more or change them for the actual public show.
That’s it for now!